Lay Learning Labs – February 26
February 26 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The CBAC’s Leadership Academy is launching an accessible and practical resource for lay leaders. Whether you’re a treasurer, clerk, small group/Sunday school leader, we are offering sessions that help your congregation’s lay leaders to grow and lead in this current moment.
On the last Monday evening of the month (February, March, April & May), sessions will be offered covering various topics. Note that they take place concurrently. You can only choose one. Some topics have more than one part, with subsequent sessions taking place in the following months.
Here’s the list of what is offered:
- Rev. Renée MacVicar – CBAC intro, Discerning Vision. This learning lab introduces you further to this big, beautiful, loving family we call the Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada. Plus, we’ll explore how we’re discerning vision at the CBAC and how YOU can lead a process to discern vision in your local context.
- Rev. Dr. Greg Jones – Mission Edge Churches: Home Grown/Right Size (Session 1 of 2). The common complaint often heard is that recommended resources may be helpful for some other churches in other places; but they’re not right for us. Mission Edge Churches is a model/tool developed by CBAC churches for CBAC churches … and churches of all sizes. In this lab we will introduce the basic precepts of Mission Edge Churches, exploring how at its core it is simply a renewed call for all CBAC churches to live out the mission God has given to all churches in all places at all times.
- Rev. Paul Ross – Ministry with those who are disabled (Session 1 of 3). A Luke 14 Kingdom Venture: Ministry Beyond Barriers – Introduction to Special Needs/Disability Ministry
- Jacqueline Derrah – Refugee Sponsorship: Welcoming Strangers with Loving Hospitality. We’ll learn more about what life is like for refugees, how Canadian Churches are key in the Private Sponsorship Program, and some of the ways that our churches and individuals can be instruments of hope for the hopeless. We’ll consider some practical ways to love, welcome and extend hospitality in our new neighbourhoods.
- Rev. Dan Pyke – Title & Description TBA.
- Rev. Renée MacVicar – Joining God in the Neighbourhood. Together, we’ll look at Jesus’s encounter with a Samaritan woman at the well. We’ll consider what it means for us and our church, as today we join God at the ‘wells’ in our communities.
- Rev. Dr. Greg Jones – Mission Edge Churches: What’s in Your Hand (Session 2 of 2). This Part 2 of exploring Mission Edge Churches emphasizes that each and every church has all that they need for at least the first/next step(s) of the journey God has for them, but often we fail to appreciate it. In this lab we will explore the Congregational Guide developed for Mission Edge Churches, and how it can be used to bring your congregation together to discern its calling in the neighbourhood(s) where He has you, in part by considering all the resources your church already has.
- Rev. Paul Ross – Ministry with those who are disabled (Session 2 of 3). A Luke 14 Kingdom Venture: Ministry Beyond Barriers – Introduction to Special Needs/Disability Ministry
- Laura Bennett – The Trellis: A Framework for Flourishing in Life and Ministry. Increasingly, we see a need for next-generation leaders to be grounded in a holistic approach to following Jesus to best serve the young people in their care. That’s why we created ‘The Trellis.’ Come learn about our framework for flourishing and how it might change your personal journey, team, and ministry culture.
- Rev. Renée MacVicar – Discerning a Call. This lab is a conversation about what it means to be called by God and how we can recognize God’s call and leading in our lives. This lab gives you an opportunity to reflect on how God has been at work in your life and can use you in Kingdom work.
- Rev. Paul Ross – Ministry with those who are disabled (Session 3 of 3). A Luke 14 Kingdom Venture: Ministry Beyond Barriers – Introduction to Special Needs/Disability Ministry
- Laura Bennett – Justice: Issues of Reconciliation. Description TBA.
- Karen Gunn – What Church Treasurers need to know about Pension and Insurance Benefits. In this Learning Lab, we will go through the eligibility requirements, enrolment and contribution process, answer some of the Frequently Asked Questions, and share recommended practices for sick leave. All important things your church needs to know if you have paid employees.
- Rev. Dan Pyke – Listening to Our Students: What do they tell us about Church and Faith? One of the most important things we can do is listen well to our students. In 2021-22, the Youth & Family Department sought to listen to students through their Perspectives research project. Come learn what we learned from our students and the insights they have for our churches.
- Rev. Dr. Cheryl Ann Beals – Growing Deeper: Exploring Relationship with God, Self and others. We will explore briefly what it means to go deeper in our relationship with God, with ourselves and with others.
We will explore:
*The meaning and importance of relationships for Christians and for the church.
*How to be more aware of God, ourselves, and others.
*How to be intentional about relationships.
- Rev. Dr. Greg Jones – Fresh Expressions: Unwrapping It and Taking It Out of the Box. This Part 2 of exploring Mission Edge Churches emphasizes that each and every church has all that they need for at least the first/next step(s) of the journey God has for them, but often we fail to appreciate it. In this lab, we will explore the Congregational Guide developed for Mission Edge Churches and how it can be used to bring your congregation together to discern its calling in the neighbourhood(s) where He has you, in part by considering all the resources your church already has.
- Debbie Barriault – Best Practice for Church Treasurers. This learning lab will be focused on Best Practices for Church Treasurers to help better equip you to do your role. We will go through the Treasurer’s Handbook and answer some of the most Frequently Asked Questions, as well as share some of the services that are available to you.
- Rev. Dr. Garth Williams & Andrew Myers – Called to Serve. If you’ve ever wondered what the process to Ordination looks like in the CBAC, now is your opportunity! From Call to Education to Ordination. Come learn about the journey.
Register here: https://atlbaptist.wufoo.com/forms/lay-learning-labs